Sunday, April 25, 2010

TAKS-titude

Typically Adrianna is a pretty easy going girl. Quite active, but still – easy going. She doesn’t give me too much trouble (most of the time). However, she does fall short sometimes in the motivation department. Not really in the – “I need to take out the dog” department but mostly in the “It’s time to clean the room or do homework” department. Anything that seems like work to her can present itself as an issue at times. Like most of us, her motivation isn’t always where it needs to be. In fact, sometimes, I feel a hint of laziness. Ok, who am I kidding – it’s not a hint – it’s a bold, in your face, “Here I am”, dose of laziness.

Well, it seems that we are having a little attitude while we prepare for the TAKS test this week. I’m calling it a TAKS-titude…and I don’t like it. I mean, do I get it? Yes. I completely understand why she wouldn’t want to give up part of her Sunday doing extra practice.

However, here’s my issue. This weekend has already been filled with slumber parties, sleepovers, and school carnivals. It was so full that this Sunday is our first opportunity to work on anything, and now we are exhausted and I need her to focus? WHAT WAS I THINKING?

The agreement was there, in full force, at the beginning of the weekend.

Me: Ok, you have a busy weekend but we still need to get TAKS practice in.

Her: Ok

Me: So when I pick you up on Sunday, I need you to be ready to work and I need you to have a good attitude.

Her: Ok.

Me: So, we agree? Good attitude it is?

Her: Yes. Sunday I’ll have a good attitude and will work extra hard.

HA! – Let me say this again – HA! HA! HA! I mean, I do realize that she is still 8 (almost 9) but I ask the question again – WHAT WAS I THINKING? Like really? After two days of staying up late, swimming, running around outside at a carnival, I expect her to be 100% and ready to work? Really? REALLY?

So, who’s really at fault here? (Don’t answer that)

‘til next time,

Emily

Little Lesson: NO FUN TIL TAKS IS DONE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment