Thursday, April 22, 2010

First Blog....oh and Happy Earth Day!!!


First of all…I am not a writer. Not at all so please don’t judge. I say this though – if Rachel Ray (a non-chef) can end up with a cooking show, I certainly can put some thoughts down in a blog. I mean they are MY THOUGHTS right?? How wrong can they be? (Don’t answer that) Plus, I’m the one that tells my daughter that she can do anything; all she has to do is try. So, this is me – trying.

HAPPY EARTH DAY EVERYONE! That’s right….its the 40th anniversary of this celebration. This is a day for renewal and appreciation.

Here’s my take on Earth Day….the Earth was given to us by God. We are to be stewards and caretakers of this planet. While I am not so naive to believe that we will all get to the point where we are completely “green”, I do believe that it’s worth a try for us all to make small steps towards this goal. Do I recycle? No. Do I eat organic food? Sometimes. Is it always locally grown? Not exactly. Some days are better than others. I “try” to use my refillable water bottle instead of plastic bottles. Sometimes I even remember to bring my reusable grocery bags into the grocery store before I enter the check out line. J The idea is not to be perfect all of the time. The idea is to make decisions on occasion that are good for our environment. I say – pick one thing that you know that you can do. Maybe it’s purchasing a Brita Filter for your water instead of buying the 24 pack of bottled water. Who knows? But pick something. Find something that you and your family can work with and implement today. When you’ve got that down – add something else. That’s the best advice I can give you.

'til next time,

Emily



No comments:

Post a Comment